Ongoing Research at NRHU
Environment, Nature and Society
The Environment, Nature and Society research section concentrates on interactions between humans and nature. We apply interdisciplinary approaches and a wide variety of natural and social science research methods. These approaches involve social-ecological systems, natural resource management, governance, and sustainability analysis. We also work with environmental policies and Sustainable Development Goals, practical application of the ecosystem services concept, biodiversity conservation and restoration, policy and planning for food security and preservation of agricultural land, nature and fishing tourism development, and environmental conflicts. Our work is conducted in collaboration with stakeholders at different governance levels, from local communities and organisations to governmental authorities. Our main focal systems include coastal habitats, pollution, fisheries and aquaculture systems.
- Treasure, targeting emerging contaminated sediments along the uplifting northern Baltic coast of Sweden for remediation.
- Ecosystem services, recreational fisheries and sustainable seafood
Energy, Resources and Society
The Energy, Resources and Society theme focuses on highly topical and problem-oriented interdisciplinary research concerned with the sustainable use and management of energy and natural resources underpinning contemporary modern society. We analyse energy-resources-society nexuses by implementing both natural and social science approaches. The focal research areas include challenges and threats concerned with, among others, sustainable cities and infrastructure, energy transitions, as well as long-term resource and energy supply and security, and the effect of natural and anthropogenic processes on climate change.
Ongoing Research Projects
- Disassembling the power of high-carbon imaginaries
- Integrating regional carbon budgets into regional climate policy
- SubCity: Future imaginaries of the city subsurface
- Iron ores from Sweden and South America
- Space resources as a source of critical raw materials
- Volcanically versus anthropogenically induced climate change
- Volcanic threats to society and infrastructures
- Systems shifts and systems interactions for low-carbon energy
- Tools for exploring local energy transformations
Read more about our Projects and Researchers.